In the event of a tsunami which allows time for official warning, coastal residents should have an emergency plan prepared in advance and be ready to activate it. The tsunami kit is part of the overall family emergency plan and should also be prepared well in advance of a tsunami's arrival.
|Provisions should include enough supplies to last three days for each member of the family.
If possible, have supplies ready for a longer period of time, because isolation could last for up to seven days.
The following provisions are recommended as a minimum for the Kit:
- Map of area showing an agreed meeting spot in case of separation and the nearest safe shelter
- Family and emergency contact information
- Basic first aid kit
- Water and non perishable food (three to seven day supply)
- Battery powered radio
- Extra batteries
- Medical supplies and medications
- Extra cash
- Personal hygiene items (soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, hand wipes, sanitizer)
- Copies of important personal documents in waterproof container (proof of address, insurance policy in, birth certificate, passports, medication list, deed to home, proof of address)
- Cell phones with chargers
It is very important that the entire family understands what is in the plan and their role in executing it.
Practicing emergency drills regularly can go a long way in helping families be prepared for the next tsunami.
For more information:
Click on the Survival Kit button located on the right side of page.